How can I show my support for LGBTQ youth?
Whether you live close-by or afar, there are here are many ways you can show your support for LGBTQ youth. Here are some ideas to get you started:
- Educate yourself - Become a resource for LGBTQ youth by learning about the different resources offered in the community and by educating yourself on the issues that LGBTQ youth face.
- Make your support visible - Check out Oasis' different social media outlets including Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram. Reshare any of our posts or events or create your own positive, supportive messages for LGBTQ youth. Download or order a safe space kit , rainbow flags or other supportive messaging for your office or classroom.
- Schedule a tour or volunteer with your local LGBTQ center - Where is the closest LGBTQ community center in your community? If you're not sure, do some research or call us for help and schedule a tour or community training with them. Don't have a LGBTQ community center near you? Call your local community college or K-12 schools and find out if they have a school club that advocates for LGBTQ youth. Find out what resources are needed in your LGBTQ community and help out in the ways that you can!
- Speak up for LGBTQ youth - Too often, LGBTQ youth are forgotten or ignored in the legislative process and the creation of local policies. Do some research about policies on the local, state, and national level and bring them to attention by asking how this will affect LGBTQ youth. Or better yet, ask LGBTQ youth directly how it might affect them. Help organize your community politically by sponsoring or joining different campaigns with the purpose of holding legislative representatives accountable to the communities these policies affect the most.
- Donate - Help support LGBTQ youth by purchasing items from our Amazon wish-list or make a direct donation to Oasis through our online donation link.